Brazilian Butt Lift Newport Beach
Brazilian Buttlifting, the popular name for gluteal augmentation using the patient’s own fat, has become a social media sensation in the last few years, and Miami is the new epicenter of this phenomenon. Some of the best best BBL’s are done in Miami, because the patients demand it and expect it there. Dr. Sayed is in a somewhat unique position to be able to offer his Miami techniques to Southern California as well. Gluteal augmentation can be performed with implants in many patients, but Dr. Sayed has become fond of the advantages of fat transfer to shape the buttock for these reasons:
- The enhancement is all-natural — it uses the patient’s own tissues and has the potential for a permanent result
- The procedure includes liposuction of multiple areas that also benefit from cosmetic improvement
- 360 degree shaping improvement of the whole body can be accomplished with fat transfer but not with implants
- The procedure can be repeated in some patients if touchups are needed
- The BBL silhouette is a particularly sought after body physique that conveys sensual femininity
- No foreign body implant is required
Brazilian Buttlifting is a comprehensive body contouring procedure that reshapes the buttocks, hips, back, abdomen, waistline and love handles. The goal is to achieve a relatively narrow wast, a scooped out lower back with a nice takeoff of the upper gluteal shelf, and an upside-down heart shaped gluteal profile that has a pleasing roundness. A careful assessment of the shape of the gluteal region before surgery is critical.
The procedure starts with harvesting sufficient fat from the source locations, which usually include the upper, lower and central abdomen; the flanks (love handle areas); the lower back and upper waist; the bra-lines; and other areas. The fat is harvested using standard liposuction techniques, with tumescent fluid placed to minimize postoperative pain, bruising or bleeding. The fat is kept sterile, washed with antibiotics and concentrated into syringes for injection. Safe injection technique is critical to minimize the risk of poor fat graft take, lumpiness, or other complications.
The real artistry behind (pardon the pun) the BBL is in the shaping and injecting processes. A pleasing feminine backside includes a gentle curvature that indents somewhat in the lower back before taking off with a shelf at the upper buttock edge, then rounding out toward the thigh.
Dr. Sayed can enhance certain portions of the gluteal profile and sculpt the donor sites to give a comprehensive total body makeover that can radically change a patient’s physique. New clothes, bathing suits, and other social benefits might follow!
Gluteal Fat Transfer FAQ’s
1. How do I know if I am a candidate for Brazilian buttlift surgery?
Some of our selection criteria to include you as a gluteal fat transfer (BBL) candidate include:
- A flat buttock, saggy gluteal tissues, inadequate fullness in the buttocks, a poorly defined midsection, dissatisfaction with body shape, and a desire for gluteal enhancement
- Enough fat in the donor site areas to be able to harvest enough fat to help achieve the desired outcome – some patients can only obtain a modest augmentation due to their minimal body fat
- General good health, meaning you do not have major uncorrected cardiovascular, respiratory, kidney or other major organ conditions, and would be able to be medically cleared for general anesthesia by an internal medicine physician if you are over a certain age
- Not pregnant or immediately planning to become pregnant
- Nonsmoker or willing to commit to NO NICOTINE IN ANY FORM for at least 3 weeks preop and for the duration of your recovery
- A body mass index below 35 and ideally below 30 for optimal results, with rare exceptions
- Available support system of friends, family, caregivers or others who can help you to keep your appointments, complete your preop and postop tasks, and emotionally bolster you through this exciting journey
- Reasonable expectations of how much buttock enhancement is possible with specific techniques
2. How long does Brazilian buttlift surgery usually take?
Most BBL procedures are three to four hours in duration. Dr. Sayed and his assistants in surgery will harvest fat efficiently and as comprehensively as possible to shape the donor sites and obtain as much usable fat as is safe to harvest and transfer. Keeping operative times down is important, and using highly trained assistants to help through the harvest portion is common. Dr. Sayed performs all the fat injections to try to ensure gluteal symmetry.
3. What is recovery from Brazilian buttlift surgery like?
Most BBL’s are performed on an outpatient basis in a AAAASF-certified operating room, meaning the facility is up to very high standards of accreditation. Patients usually spend up to a couple hours in the postoperative suite before being discharged in the care of a companion, family member or friend. Dr. Sayed gives a 24 hour phone number to all patients who can reach him for urgent questions, and we also issue access to a patient engagement application that allows the patient or companion/caregiver to send SMS messages, photos, video and other content to our team in a secure, private digital format. This keeps us mutually informed on your recovery and allows us to update your instructions while requiring a respectful number of face-to-face visits in the office.
Early postop recovery findings can include abdominal pain, buttock pain, muscle cramping, mild nausea, back discomfort, bruising and swelling, numbness or diminished sensation in the skin, and some mental adjustment to the process of healing which most patients undergo. We try to have you keep off the gluteal areas by avoiding sitting for the first 2 weeks or so. Special pillows and seats can be purchased to help ease the recovery process so you can eat and reposition yourself in comfort while you heal. Most patients are advised to take up to 2 weeks out of social circulation and we’d prefer that you not drive yourself in the first 14 days or as long as you are taking any prescription pain medication. Most sutures are dissolvable but there may be a few that need to be removed at around 14 days postop. You will probably have drains in place which are usually removed in the office at 7 to 10 days.
We ask that you abstain from exercise for 3 weeks and then return to light fitness routines after that. It is very important that you get up and walk even the first night following your procedure. You will be asked to wear a surgical garment for about 3 months, and it will be easiest for you if you wear tops that button down in the front in the first 3 weeks or so. Dr. Sayed and his team provide close postop care in the office and with our remote engagement tools. You will be asked to take some supplement medications to aid in your recovery, which may include medications for pain, bruising, swelling, constipation, and dietary optimization.
4. How long do BBL results usually last?
It is well known that some of the fat that is transferred in a fat grafting procedure may not survive long-term. For this reason, most plastic surgeons “over-correct” somewhat by placing more fat by weight than is desired for long-term survival, to account for some expected “resorption” of a percentage of the fat. The fat that does survive is as permanent a part of the patient’s body as fat in other areas. One of the things we do to try to promote long-standing results is to harvest fat from areas from which the patient finds it hard to lose weight — this is because the fat in some of these areas is rich in molecules that resist fat breakdown. It is believed that when fat is transferred from such areas, the fat cells retain some of this resistance to breakdown when placed in their new position. If the patient loses a tremendous amount of weight over time, some weight may come off the gluteal region, just like other fat in the body.
5. How can I prepare for my Brazilian buttlift surgery?
- Have a reasonable expectation of what surgery can accomplish
- Look at before and after photos and understand what kinds of techniques you are interested in
- Don’t smoke or take nicotine in any form for at least 3 weeks and ideally longer before (and after) surgery
- Stay well rested and well hydrated and eat a nutritious diet balanced with plenty of protein
- If your diet is lacking in vitamins, take vitamin C and zinc supplementation but ask Dr. Sayed about other supplements. We have a list of ingredients we ask you to avoid in the immediate preop phase to optimize healing and minimize bleeding risk.
- Designate a caretaker who can help you through the first 7-14 days after your BBL
- Maintain your weight at a target which we can set together based on your body mass index (BMI) – ideally, we’d like to help you get it below 30, but there is a reasonable range depending on other factors. In some cases, we may ask you to put on some extra weight preop to have more fat to use
6. How much does a BBL cost in Southern California?
We don’t like to publish pricing as it is subject to market changes and dependent on the types of procedures you consider. We do have a fee schedule available in the office after your consultation, and we can give you an estimate through virtual consultation tools available on this site like our Zwivel® page. Feel free to contact us for a pre-consultation and we are happy to provide more information. The cost of your surgery will partly depend on where you have it and how much time we think it will take based on your body frame. One thing to keep in mind for patients considering combining BBL (Brazilian Buttlift) and tummy tuck: Dr. Sayed most likely will recommend that you stage these operations for your safety and to optimize the results, although in selected patients it may be reasonable to combine them.
7. When can I sit after Brazilian buttlift fat transfer gluteal augmentation surgery?
Surgeons are divided on this issue.
Some surgeons believe pressure on the buttocks during healing after fat transfer might put the fat grafts at risk or change the shape of the healing process. This is probably because during surgery, we massage and manipulate the grafted areas and there is some concern that a patient could “smush” the grafts early on. This may not have any actual scientific basis. We routinely put patients into compressive garments in order to minimize swelling of the liposuction areas and that is probably a degree of pressure similar to just laying on a regular mattress or sitting on a properly cushioned seat. However, since there is no consensus, it’s important to discuss with the surgeon. Dr. Sayed and many other surgeons recommend avoiding sitting for about 2 weeks except to eat, toilet or ride to appointments. You won’t find a medical study showing the “right” approach to this – it’s up to each individual surgeon’s protocol.