Lip Enhancement Newport Beach
Let’s pay lip service. Our mouths are incredibly important to our sense of self-expression. We speak, kiss, eat and adorn our mouths as part of telling the world who we are. Young women in particular are focusing a lot of attention on highlighting and enhancing their lips with creative lipstick, liner, and , yes, injectables. In recent years we have seen a huge surge of interest in cosmetic lip enhancement with fillers and autologous fat. From taking the perfect selfie to adding allure and sensuality to the lips to enhance self-esteem, patients have a variety of motivations and ideals when it comes to lip aesthetics.
Dr. Sayed is a very experienced cosmetic filler lip injector and is equally seasoned with fat injections after over a decade in practice in the fiercely competitive and demanding south Florida/Miami market. He is bringing these skills to Southern California, the mecca of the entertainment and aesthetics industry, where looks and self-confidence are at a premium.
Dr. Sayed’s loyal lip enhancement patients praise his eye for natural augmentation, symmetry, and a soft appearance. Of course, if you are aiming for that “very done” duckface look, he can achieve that for you too (just be sure to tell your friends you love the full lip look!) – basically, he can work with a variety of patient expectations.
Cosmetic lip enhancement can be achieved with one or more fillers, depending on your needs and budget, as well as with a more permanent solution of fat grafting for selected patients. Most of the fillers used for lip augmentation are based on hyaluronic acid (HA), which is a compound that naturally exists in the connective tissue in our bodies. Most of these products do not require special skin testing and are very well tolerated. Hyaluronic acid fillers are known for their plumping capabilities as the HA attracts water to hydrate the molecule and add volume, and also boast a nice combination of softness and firmness that can mimic the complexity of human tissue feel.
Fillers that Dr. Sayed uses for lip enhancement include:
- Juvederm Ultra XC®
- Juvederm Ultra Plus XC®
- Restylane Silk®
Dr. Sayed is particularly excited to offer the newest Volbella® lip filler from Allergan® – a Hyaluronic acid + lidocaine mix specifically formulated for lip enhancement! Come in for a consultation and ask about it!
Lip Enhancement 101
Cosmetic lip enhancement starts with an analysis of the shape, volume, symmetry and position of lip landmarks. Dr. Sayed can illustrate for you his plan using electronic simulation tools and even draw on your own photo to give you a sense of what can be achieved.
You may have topical numbing cream and ice applied and some patients may even have the area fully numbed with a comfortable nerve block. The lip augmentation is done in a series of small injections to accentuate the cupid bow, philtrum, central pout, and other areas. Balance between the upper and lower lips is of critical importance but if you have a preference to make one more prominent than the other, we can make adjustments.
1. How do I know if I am a candidate for Lip Enhancement?
Most patients are candidates for Lip Enhancement. Some of our selection criteria to include you as a Lip Enhancement candidate include:
- Thin upper lip, poor lip balance, thin lower lip, lip creases, lip scars, excess tooth show, desire for plump lips, corner of the mouth creases, history of cleft lip with distortion of the lip, and other cosmetic indications
- General good health, meaning you do not have major uncorrected cardiovascular, respiratory, kidney or other major organ conditions, are not pregnant, and have no neurologic conditions or other contraindications
- No prior allergic or other unpleasant reaction (these are very rare, but some fillers may need skin testing – Dr. Sayed usually prefers the fillers that don’t require skin testing)
- Reasonable expectations of how much youthful restoration is possible with specific techniques
2. How long do Lip Enhancement injections usually take?
For most patients, the actual process of injection takes from five to fifteen minutes. This depends on how much is being injected and whether it is your first time or you are a repeat Lip Enhancemenet customer. Commonly used lip fillers like Juvederm, Volbella, and Restylane® come pre-prepared in the box. Many patients come in about 30-45 minutes before their scheduled appointments to have some numbing cream applied, and patients may also request nerve blocks if desired (but just know nerve blocks will keep your lips numb for several hours afterward!).
3. What is recovery from Lip Enhancement like?
These injections have minimal downtime, although small injection site bruises and small areas of firmness occasionally occur. Sometimes the injection sites look like little mosquito bites of swelling for a few hours. We suggest avoiding vigorous kissing for 48 to 72 hours. Also, we advise you not to manipulate the areas treated for 72 hours in order to not cause migration of the product. If you have a Friday or Saturday event, you might want to get your Lip Enhancement 10 days earlier to give yourself time for the effects to take place (some swelling may occur and touchups are occasionally advised) and to ensure you don’t have to do anything special to conceal any bruising at the injection sites.
4. How long do Lip Enhancement results usually last?
This really depends on the choice of filler. Below is a basic rule of thumb guide to how long the different fillers typically last. Your mileage may vary, as they say, depending on how quickly you metabolize the product:
- Volbella® – 4 to 5 months
- Juvederm® (Ultra, Ultra Plus, Ultra XC, Ultra Plus XC) – 4 to 6 months
- Restylane® – 3 to 4 months
- Perlane® – 4 to 6 months
- Belotero® – 4 months
5. How can I prepare for my Lip Enhancement injection?
- Have a reasonable expectation of what injections can accomplish
- Stay well rested and well hydrated and eat a nutritious diet balanced with plenty of protein
- Know which areas concern you and do some mental math – one of the main challenges in counseling filler patients is to make sure they understand the volumes that may be needed to achieve the corrections they seek. Think about your budget so we can prioritize if you can’t treat all areas.
- Avoid blood thinners that you are not absolutely required to take, as well as certain over the counter drugs (we can furnish you with a list) that increase the bruising risk
- Consider taking natural arnica montana supplements beforehand to minimize bruising risk
- Come into the office without lipstick and makeup if possible, as it will speed up your appointment (we have makeup wipes too)
- Make sure you are not doing injections within 72 hours of an event if you will be in the public eye, as a small amount of bruising may briefly occur
- Do not plan to engage in vigorous kissing within 48 hours to follow your injection in order to minimize risk of product migration
6. How much does Lip Enhancement cost in Southern California?
We don’t like to publish pricing as it is subject to market changes and dependent on the types of procedures you consider. Pricing also depends on the type of filler. We do have a fee schedule available in the office after your consultation, and we can give you an estimate through virtual consultation tools available on this site like our Zwivel® page. Feel free to contact us for a pre-consultation and we are happy to provide more information. Fillers are usually priced per syringe of product used, depending on the number of cc’s of filler in the syringe based on the product selected. For example, a syringe of filler could come in a 1cc or 0.8cc size, so the price may be adjusted if it is a smaller or larger syringe. Dr. Sayed can counsel you before treatment on how many syringes/cc’s are advised.