Brow Lift – San Diego
Browlifting is a popular procedure done alone, or in combination with eyelid rejuvenation, facelifting, or combinations of facial procedures. As we age, our forehead tissues lose some of their support and begin to descend onto the eyelids. When combined with some of the changes seen in the upper eyelid (like fat wasting, skin looseness and hooding), this can create a very tired, angry or just plain old look to the upper third of the face. Browlifting has been around for decades and used to be performed with a more invasive procedures. Thankfully, now we have minimally invasive and faster recovery techniques at our disposal.
Dr. Sayed has experience with many browlift techniques, which are designed to address some of these considerations:
- Elevating the eyebrow position to “unload” the upper eyelids and help brighten the eye appearance
- Repositioning the brows to a more aesthetic position if they are significantly low
- Removing excess skin if necessary
- Addressing a high or low hairline
- Improving etched lines of facial expression
- Enhancing arching of the lateral (outer) brow for reshaping
- Feminizing the brow in gender transformation procedures
Dr. Sayed uses the Endotine devices as part of an endoscopic browlift procedure in most candidates. He can also perform a lateral (temporal) browlift, hairline-lowering (pretrichial) lift, or an old-fashioned coronol lift in selected patients.
The decision regarding which browlift technique takes into consideration these factors:
- Age and gender of the patient
- Position of the hairline
- Positions and symmetry of the eyebrows
- Shape of the eyebrows (flat, arched, upgoing, downgoing)
- Skin of the upper eyelid
- Prominence of lines of facial expression on the forehead
- Goals of the patient
View real patient before & after results in our photo gallery.
Browlifts can be performed through various incisions depending on the goals. The most common approach that Dr. Sayed performs is the endoscopic approach, which involves three small incisions behind the hairline. Dr. Sayed introduces fixation devices that dissolve – think of them like absorbable carpet tacks – to firmly anchor the forehead tissues in place once repositioned. Sometimes the muscles that cause frown lines will be treated as well. The hairline incision may be used to lower the hairline for patients with high foreheads, and the lateral approach is good for arching the brow. The coronal incision is not used very frequently anymore.
Some of our selection criteria to include you as a browlift candidate include:
- Low eyebrows, forehead wrinkles, eyelid hooding, eyebrow asymmetry or other signs of upper facial aging
- General good health, meaning you do not have major uncorrected cardiovascular, respiratory, kidney or other major organ conditions and you are able to get medically cleared by your primary care doctor or a designated internal medicine physician who will perform a comprehensive physical examination and review preoperative laboratory studies. We also recommend an ophthalmology evaluation if you are combining this with eyelid surgery or have any vision issues
- Nonsmoker or willing to commit to NO NICOTINE IN ANY FORM for at least 3 weeks preop and for the duration of your recovery
- Available support system of friends, family, caregivers or others who can help you to keep your appointments, complete your preop and postop tasks, and emotionally bolster you through this exciting journey
- Reasonable expectations of how much youthful restoration is possible with specific techniques
Most browlifts can be done in an hour or less when done as a single procedure. Obviously, when combined with eyelids (blepharoplasty), facelifting, skin treatment (laser resurfacing) and/or fat grafting, the combined procedure will take longer – closer to 3 to 6 hours depending on the extent. The brow component of the combined facial rejuvenation process is usually about a 45 to 60 minute portion.
Most browlifts are performed on an outpatient basis in a AAAASF-certified operating room, meaning the facility is up to very high standards of accreditation. Patients usually spend up to a couple hours in the postoperative suite before being discharged in the care of a companion, family member or friend. Dr. Sayed gives a 24 hour phone number to all patients who can reach him for urgent questions, and we also issue access to a patient engagement application that allows the patient or companion/caregiver to send SMS messages, photos, video and other content to our team in a secure, private digital format. This keeps us mutually informed on your recovery and allows us to update your instructions while requiring a respectful number of face-to-face visits in the office.
Early postop recovery findings can include bruising and swelling, mild discomfort, slight eye irritation, a sense of facial fullness, and some mental adjustment to the process of healing which most patients undergo. Usually the swelling subsides within a couple of days and bruising is either resolved or easily concealed within 7-10 days. Most patients are advised to take 10-14 days out of social circulation and to give a good 3 weeks from surgery before expecting to be really in the public eye. Stitches or staples are removed at 7 to 14 days depending on the location. Endoscopic browlifts are usually closed with surgical staples that are painlessly removed in about 10 days. The Endotine devices that are usually placed may take several months to go away and you might feel them under the skin of the frontal scalp until the dissolve. Usually others can not see them and the scars are well concealed and thus almost invisible in most patients. Other techniques may leave a very thin pale normal scar right at the hairline that fades substantially with time. You may wear a dressing and compressive garment on the forehead in the first several days. Incisions require almost no care to heal in most patients.
We ask that you abstain from exercise for 2 weeks and then return to light fitness routines after that. Dr. Sayed and his team provide close postop care in the office and with our remote engagement tools. You will be asked to take some supplement medications to aid in your recovery, which may include medications for pain, bruising, swelling, and dietary optimization.
Just as in the case of facelifting, browlift surgery does not stop the clock, but can have dramatic effects on making the face look more youthful and well rested, creating a natural refreshed appearance. This may be maintained for 5 to 10 years depending on your aging process and genes. Smokers, sun-worshippers, and certain other patients may be more prone to problems with the skin and brow tissues occurring in the future. On the whole, most patients are highly satisfied for many years.
- Have a reasonable expectation of what surgery can accomplish
- Look at before and after photos and understand what kinds of techniques you are interested in
- Don’t smoke or take nicotine in any form for at least 3 weeks and ideally longer before (and after) surgery
- Stay well rested and well hydrated and eat a nutritious diet balanced with plenty of protein
- If your diet is lacking in vitamins, take vitamin C and zinc supplementation but ask Dr. Sayed about other supplements. We have a list of ingredients we ask you to avoid in the immediate preop phase to optimize healing and minimize bleeding risk.
- Designate a caretaker who can help you through the first 5 to 7 days after your browlift.
We don’t like to publish pricing as it is subject to market changes and dependent on the types of procedures you consider. Review our Pricing page to build a “wishlist” and get estimated pricing on browlift or a combination of procedures. We also have a fee schedule available in the office after your consultation. Feel free to contact our San Diego office for a pre-consultation and we are happy to provide more information.
Contact us today!
If you’re in the San Diego or Newport Beach areas and have any questions about a Brow Lift or wish to schedule a consultation on a brow lift with Dr. Sayed, please contact our office.