San Diego Fat Transfer
As plastic surgery technology and techniques continue to evolve, we discover newer and more effective ways to make rejuvenation and body contouring as safe and natural-looking as possible. Patients seeking fat transfer in San Diego can now benefit from combined approaches that eliminate stubborn pockets of fat while restoring volume to crucial areas.
A fat transfer allows board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Tim Sayed to address volume loss, an often-ignored cause of facial aging. He can also treat the signs of aging like sunken cheeks, hollowness under the cheeks, prominent tear troughs, a gaunt eyelid-cheek junction, sunken temples, and lines that form on the mouth and mid-face.
If you are considering fat transfer in San Diego or Newport Beach and need more information, schedule a consultation or call 858-247-2933.
San Diego Fat Transfer and BBL
Since it’s the age of the “booty,” many of Dr. Sayed’s patients add volume to their buttocks, the upper back, and outer thighs for a more curvaceous, voluptuous look. Also known as a Brazilian butt lift, these fat transfer treatments are famous thanks to social media and the influence of countless pop stars and celebrities who are celebrating a curvier derriere. Dr. Sayed spent over a decade in South Florida, the “mecca” of BBL surgery, learning and refining his technique for safe and natural results.
View real patient before & after results in our photo gallery.
Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation in La Jolla
Our fat transfer breast augmentation adds a whole new element to breast enhancements. With fat grafting, Dr. Sayed can repair small defects, supplement breast reconstruction surgery, or correct irregular breast contours.
What’s remarkable is that the treatment uses the patient’s body tissues, so there’s no risk of an allergic reaction or rejection. While all plastic surgeons like to boast of their ability to provide natural-looking results, cosmetic fat grafting procedures ultimately offer patients a chance to have a rejuvenated body contour that’s genuinely theirs. Individuals seeking natural rejuvenation can look forward to results that move naturally, look lifelike, and are long-lasting.
San Diego Fat Transfer 101
To harvest the fat, Dr. Sayed uses tumescent liposuction. First, he fills the treatment area is filled with a dilute lidocaine solution to prevent bleeding. The solution also acts as a form of local anesthesia. Next, he breaks up harvested fat cells with a device that produces small vibrations.
He carefully filters fat, washes it with antibiotics, and purifies it down to a more concentrated fat sample. Dr. Sayed will collect that pure, viable sample of intact fat cells in a closed suction system. Afterward, he places the purified fat into individual syringes with specialized cannulas to inject into the target areas. Dr. Sayed uses a multi-layer threading technique that involves inserting the cannulas at an angle that distributes fat to deliver long-lasting and natural results.
San Diego Fat Transfer Candidates
The ideal candidates for a fat transfer should:
- Have an adequate fat volume to donate from problem areas like the abdomen, flanks, or back, to name a few.
- Want to treat deep creases and volume loss in the face, enhance their breast augmentation results, improve the size of their buttocks and thighs, or add volume to other deficient areas.
- Be in general good health. Patients should not have significant cardiovascular, respiratory, kidney, or other major organ problems. An internal medicine physician should medically clear them for general anesthesia.
- Not be pregnant or immediately planning to become pregnant.
- Be a non-smoker, or be willing to abstain from nicotine in any form for at least three weeks before surgery and for their entire recovery.
- Have a body mass index below 35, and ideally below 30 for optimal results.
- Have an available support system of friends, family, caregivers, or others who can help you keep your appointments, complete your pre-operative and post-operative tasks, and emotionally bolster you through this exciting journey
- Have realistic expectations as to what a fat transfer can do
Recovery for Fat Grafting in San Diego
Depending on what areas you’re addressing, fat grafting in San Diego takes three to four hours to complete. It’s essential to consider that breast and body fat transfers involve considerably higher fat volumes than facial fat grafting. Dr. Sayed uses highly trained assistants during the harvest to keep the time spent in the operating room to a minimum. He performs the entire fat transfer treatment himself to ensure symmetry and outstanding results.
Patients may experience some form of mild nausea, bruising and swelling, numbness, diminished sensation in the skin, and some emotional adjusting to the recovery. These phenomena are typical for all patients who undergo any type of surgery. For body and breast fat grafting, you will need to wear compression bands for three months to keep the swelling down. After your treatment, it’s also essential to protect your new contours by refraining from putting pressure on the treatment area for as long as two weeks.
Why Choose Dr. Sayed?
Dr. Sayed is a double board-certified plastic surgeon in practice for over 13 years. His advanced training and experience give him the artistic skill necessary to provide his patients with the best cosmetic medicine has to offer.
Though he is proud to offer the latest in liposuction techniques, Dr. Sayed understands that a surgeon’s skill and experience with fat transfer procedures are critical for stunning results. Before each procedure, Dr. Sayed employs a comprehensive consultation process using Crisalix surgical simulation software. This program allows patients to visualize their results.
Fat Transfer FAQs
The ideal candidates for a fat transfer should experience the following:
- Have an adequate volume of fat to donate from problem areas (like the abdomen, flanks, back, and other areas)
- Want to treat deep creases and volume loss in the face, enhance their breast augmentation results, improve the size of their buttocks and thighs, or add volume to other deficient areas
- Be of general good health, meaning you do not have major uncorrected cardiovascular, respiratory, kidney or other major organ conditions, and would be able to be medically cleared for general anesthesia by an internal medicine physician if you are over a certain age
- Not be pregnant or immediately planning to become pregnant
- Be a nonsmoker or willing to commit to NO NICOTINE IN ANY FORM for at least 3 weeks preop and for the duration of your recovery
- Have a body mass index below 35 and ideally below 30 for optimal results, with rare exceptions
- Possess an available support system of friends, family, caregivers or others who can help you to keep your appointments, complete your pre-operative and post-operative tasks, and emotionally bolster you through this exciting journey
- Have realistic expectations as to what a fat transfer can do
Depending on what areas you’re addressing, a fat grafting procedure can take about 3-4 hours to perform. It’s important to consider the fact that procedures for the breast and body involve considerably higher volumes of fat than procedures for the face. Dr. Sayed uses highly trained assistants during the harvest to keep operative times down, but he will perform all the injections himself to ensure symmetry and outstanding outcomes.
Patients may experience some form of mild nausea, bruising and swelling, numbness, diminished sensation in the skin, and some emotional adjusting to the recovery—which is typical for all patients who undergo any type of surgery. For body and breast fat grafting, you will be required to wear compression bands for three months to keep the swelling down. After your treatment, it’s also important to protect your new contours by refraining from putting pressure on the treatment area for as long as two weeks.
It’s essential to point out some of the donated cells will not survive the transfer, which is why surgeons “overcorrect” each treatment. The good news is that the remaining viable fat grafts are permanent.
- Look at before-and-after photos and understand what realistic results are possible with fat grafting techniques.
- Don’t smoke or use nicotine in any form for at least three weeks – and ideally longer – before and after surgery.
- Designate a caretaker who can help you through the first week or two after your fat transfer.
- Maintain your weight at a target that we can set together based on your body mass index. Ideally, we’d like to help you get it below 30, but there is a reasonable range depending on other factors. In some cases, we may ask you to gain some extra weight pre-op to have more fat to use.
Pricing will all depend on what procedure you’re getting, market changes, and whether you’re combining the fat transfer with other treatments. We are more than happy to provide more information during your consultation or even through a pre-consultation. We offer patient financing options, including CareCredit and Alphaeon Credit. We also have a fee schedule available in the office after your consultation.
Contact us today!
If you’re in the San Diego or Newport Beach areas and have any questions about fat transfer or wish to schedule a consultation with Dr. Sayed, please contact our office.