Fat Transfer – San Diego
As plastic surgery technology and techniques continue to evolve, we discover newer and more effective ways to make rejuvenation and body contouring as safe and natural-looking as possible. Patients seeking fat transfer in San Diego can now benefit from combined approaches which eliminate stubborn pockets of fat while restoring volume to crucial areas.
A fat transfer allows Dr. Sayed to address volume loss, an oft-ignored cause of facial aging; signs of aging like sunken cheeks, submalar hollows (hollowness under the cheeks), tear troughs, a sunken eyelid-cheek junction, sunken temples, nasolabial folds (the line that goes from the nose to the corners of the mouth), and marionette lines (the lines that go from the corners from the mouth to the cheek) can be targeted with precision.
Since it’s the age of the “booty,” many of Dr. Sayed’s patients add volume to their buttocks, the upper back, and outer thighs for a more curvaceous, voluptuous look. Also known as a Brazilian Butt Lift, these fat transfer treatments are infamous thanks to social media and the influence of countless pop stars and celebrities who are celebrating a curvier derriere.
Fat transfer adds a whole new element to breast enhancement; with fat grafting, Dr. Sayed can repair small defects, supplement breast reconstruction surgery, or correct irregular contours in the breast.
What’s remarkable is that the treatment uses the patient’s own tissues, so there’s no risk of an allergic reaction or rejection. While the term “natural” does get thrown around a lot by plastic surgeons, cosmetic fat grating procedures ultimately offer patients a chance to have rejuvenation and body contouring that’s truly theirs; those seeking natural cosmetic rejuvenate can look forward to results that move naturally, look life-like, and last much longer than injectables.
As proud as Dr. Sayed is of offering the latest liposuction technology and techniques, he understands that a surgeon’s skill, attention to detail, and experience with fat transfer procedures are much more important factors for creating stunning results. Before each procedure, Dr. Sayed plans his procedures through a comprehensive consultation process and the use of Crisalix surgical simulation software, a program that allows patients to visualize their results and allows Dr. Sayed to estimate the fat volume required to achieve the right outcomes.
View real patient before & after results in our photo gallery.
Fat Transfer 101To harvest the fat, Dr. Sayed utilizes the tumescent technique where the treatment area is filled with a dilute lidocaine solution to prevent bleeding. The solution also acts as a form of local anesthesia. He also uses power-assisted liposuction, a technology that uses small vibrations to break up fat cells. That fat is then carefully filtered, washed with antibiotics, and purified down to a more concentrated fat sample. Dr. Sayed will take that pure, viable sample of intact fat cells and collect them in a closed suction system. Afterwards, it’ll be placed into individual syringes with blunt cannulae (blunt cannulas are less painful and less traumatic to the tissues) and then injected into the target areas. Dr. Sayed uses a multi-layer threading technique (where the cannula is inserted at an angle and the fat is distributed as the cannula is withdrawn) that distributes fat in a way that makes results look natural and last as long as possible.
Fat Transfer FAQs
The ideal candidates for a fat transfer should experience the following:
- Have an adequate volume of fat to donate from problem areas (like the abdomen, flanks, back, and other areas)
- Want to treat deep creases and volume loss in the face, enhance their breast augmentation results, improve the size of their buttocks and thighs, or add volume to other deficient areas
- Be of general good health, meaning you do not have major uncorrected cardiovascular, respiratory, kidney or other major organ conditions, and would be able to be medically cleared for general anesthesia by an internal medicine physician if you are over a certain age
- Not be pregnant or immediately planning to become pregnant
- Be a nonsmoker or willing to commit to NO NICOTINE IN ANY FORM for at least 3 weeks preop and for the duration of your recovery
- Have a body mass index below 35 and ideally below 30 for optimal results, with rare exceptions
- Possess an available support system of friends, family, caregivers or others who can help you to keep your appointments, complete your pre-operative and post-operative tasks, and emotionally bolster you through this exciting journey
- Have realistic expectations as to what a fat transfer can do
Depending on what areas you’re addressing, a fat grafting procedure can take about 3-4 hours to perform. It’s important to consider the fact that procedures for the breast and body involve considerably higher volumes of fat than procedures for the face. Dr. Sayed uses highly trained assistants during the harvest to keep operative times down, but he will perform all the injections himself to ensure symmetry and outstanding outcomes.
Patients may experience some form of mild nausea, bruising and swelling, numbness, diminished sensation in the skin, and some emotional adjusting to the recovery—which is typical for all patients who undergo any type of surgery. For body and breast fat grafting, you will be required to wear compression bands for three months to keep the swelling down. After your treatment, it’s also important to protect your new contours by refraining from putting pressure on the treatment area for as long as two weeks.
It’s important to point out that there is some expected reabsorption of the donated cells that occurs as the transfer heals–a good reason why surgeons “overcorrect” each treatment. The good news is that the viable fat grafts that do remain are permanent.
- Look at before and after photos and understand what kinds of techniques you are interested in
- Don’t smoke or take nicotine in any form for at least 3 weeks and ideally longer before (and after) surgery
- Designate a caretaker who can help you through the first 7-14 days after your fat transfer
- Maintain your weight at a target which we can set together based on your body mass index (BMI) – ideally, we’d like to help you get it below 30, but there is a reasonable range depending on other factors. In some cases, we may ask you to put on some extra weight preop to have more fat to use
Pricing will all depend on what procedure you’re getting, market changes and whether you’re combining the fat transfer with other treatments. We are more than happy to provide more information during your consultation, or even through a pre-consultation. Review our Pricing page to build a “wishlist” and get estimated pricing on fat transfer or a combination of procedures. We also have a fee schedule available in the office after your consultation.
Contact us today!
If you’re in the San Diego or Newport Beach areas and have any questions about fat transfer or wish to schedule a consultation with Dr. Sayed, please contact our office.